Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Start of My Career

So I've finally found a job! Man I feel so relieved...after months of sending out resumes and checking job boards, I've finally found a job! It was getting a bit depressing for a while, but I can say that it was worth the wait. I didn't want to settle for any old job, I wanted to work in an industry related to my degree. Unfortunately, advertising and marketing is suffering due to the state of the economy making job opportunities scarce and layoffs frequent.

I will be working for an advertising agency called Initiative and my official job title is Digital Assistant Media Planner for the Kia Motors account. Before my internship at Deutsch LA, I had only a limited understanding of the advertising industry, but quickly grew to love every aspect of it. I love that this industry, as well as the department I will be working in, is both analytical and creative. Me, well I'm more of the analytical type, but I can muster up a few great ideas every now and then. The work environment is perfect...casual attire, friendly co-workers, autonomy, company functions, individual recognition, great starting salary, overtime, and benefits, vertical and horizontal movement, equality amongst all employee levels, your own desk that you are encouraged to decorate and display your personality. I love it!!

I have to admit, beneath all the excitement I am utterly terrified, freaked out, and nervous as hell! I've never really worked a formal 9-5 job. I've had a number of part time jobs with varying hours and schedules that could add up to an 8 hour day or a 40 hour week, but I always had an off day somewhere. Now that I have to work 5 days a week straight, I'm a little anxious and nervous about this new experience. I'm sure I'm just over reacting as usual, but I spent more time trying to get the job than preparing for life after obtaining the job.

So my career starts on Monday, August 3, 2009 and I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling. If things go according to plan, by this time next year, I will have been promoted to Media Planner and working on another account. What I like about advertising, is that it is a fast moving industry and promotions are common and frequent. So I ready to move up the ranks!

Look out world! I'm a woman with a plan and I have goals to achieve!

No comments:

Post a Comment